Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Prairie Schooner

Thursdays are full of vintage goodness at Colorado Lady. Click on over to see who is participating in Vintage Thingies Thursday this week! I peeked in and already saw some great buttons, aprons, and Pyrex!My dad made this toy Conestoga wagon in 1947. Here is the signature of the fifteen year old wood shop student himself! If you enlarge the photo below you can see how the wheel spokes are all carved and chiseled out. I remember the wagon just sitting on his workbench in the infamous basement my entire childhood, until he gave it to me a few years ago. One of the wheels had come off, and the bonnet was wearing thin around the wire holding it up. He was always going to fix it, but never did. I just glued the wheel back on and it looks great, although it doesn't turn, which it is supposed to d. The bonnet is made of flour sack material and is starting to decay, but I'd rather it look strangely dilapidated with the original covering than get a new one. I rotate it with other items like my spools as something I display on my entry table.
Enjoy visiting the other VTT gals and seeing their nifty items, too!

24 comments:

Happy To Be said...

How special is this Elizabeth..to have this from your Dad...thanks for sharing..hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

Amy said...

Those are lovely treasures to have from your dad :-)

Jewelgirl said...

Hey now I know where you got your
talent for crafts, your Dad! A great
keepsake for you. Looks like a nice
Santa collection on the table.

Raggedy Girl said...

I love old things but old things with a great story are really special.
Roberta Anne

Miri said...

That's a wonderful wagon and it looks great displayed...what a wonderful keepsake.

marianedwardsdreamweaver said...

That sweet little wagon's a real treasure :)

Smilingsal said...

I did click on the picture to see those wheels. Amazing work you father did! And to think it sat in a basement! I'm glad that your father sees it in a proper place of honor.

MuseSwings said...

What a treasure! It's beautifully made. I stopped over from SITS to say hi. It's too cold to just sit here in Florida today!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Elizabeth! This is so neat! I know you are proud to have it. What a special thing to have in your collection. I not only love the story but the wagon itself.

XO,

Sheila :-)

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

I am on the lookout for a mini wagon to take with me when I talk to 4th graders studying the Little House books. Love yours.

Justine said...

Now that is a very cool vintage item, because your dad made it himself! Love it.

Justine :o )

Coloradolady said...

Elizabeth, This is just a wonderful item to have and handmade by your dad? That is great. My husband made a few things in woodshop when he was in school that we still have. I am sure that back then, they did not think that they would be making something that we would hold so dear. Have a great week my friend.

Marjorie (Molly) Smith said...

Such a great item to own, something special from your Dad. I hope you always cherish it. Thanks for sharing....

This simple Life said...

what a wonderful wagon, how lucky you are to own it!

I also have some pink depression glass, it does look nice mixed with the green.

Vera said...

The wagon is a treasure. I was 9 years old when it was made. LOL

char72 said...

How wonderful you still have this treasure. I was just 9 years old when he made it.
Charlotte

^..^ Corgi Dog Mama ^..^ said...

Family history connected to a vintage thingie must makes it even more special to you...and to us!!

mannequin said...

Oh how wonderful Elizabeth. I am just amazed that you have been able to keep such treasures as you have for so long and in such pristine shape.
Where oh where did I go wrong??

bfs ~ "Mimi" said...

Such a nice memory for you. My dad has given me some wonderful pieces; I really do need to share on my blog some day. Thanks for the sharing you do, Elizabeth. Hope you are feeling good today!

Angie said...

I love that wagon... I have a few wood pioneer type wagons. I just have no place to display them in this house :(

marybt said...

As a Plains state Midwesterner, I have a real soft spot for the Connestoga wagons. What a treasure! :)

SueLovesCherries said...

That's so sweet! He did a great job.

Kelly said...

The wagon is wonderful Elizabeth! What an amazing treasure! ~Kelly

unDeniably Domestic

Stephanie said...

Wow, vintage AND made by Dad, that's very cool! My mom has a thing for Western history and that wago would totally appeal to her.