Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Art Nouveau Lamp

Happy Thursday, the day for all things old and antique as we celebrate Vintage Thingies Thursday with Suzanne from ColoradoLady! I have saved something truly wonderful for this first true VTT of 2009, and I bet many of the other participants have as well, so be sure to click on over and see what they are showing off.
Before I make you swoon and drool over my amazing item, I wanted to thank everyone who has given me input on yesterday's post about improving my blog. Throughout the coming year, as I work to make things better for everyone, I will have polls and questions, and I greatly appreciate the time you take to give your opinions. Now, on with the show!

This amazing Art Nouveau lamp has been in my dad's family since he was a child. My aunt is 85 years old and she says it was on their kitchen table ever since she can remember. It has been in my parents' living room since the early 1980s, paired with a similar one from my great-aunt Gertie's home.In the fall I was just sitting in my chair one day and thinking about decorating my living room, which has been a slow project since I moved in here 18 months ago. I'd tried two different lamps on the table, and while both worked in their way, a light bulb suddenly went off in my head and I remembered the Art Nouveau lamps at my parents' house, which were the perfect color tones and style, as well as putting off light in the right way for the space.
Most of the vintage pieces my parents have given me have been from the basement, but this was something that was currently in use, so I hesitated to ask for it. Then I realized that they don't even go into their living room, so why did they need lamps in there! (ROFL) I asked my parents to think about it and they brought me this one because it was in better shape than the other, which is a little wobbly on the base. I really wanted to know more about this lamp, so I did some research as I often do, and found out a lot of interesting things.The glass in the shade is called
slag glass, and is the most common color, cream/caramel. Slag glass was very popular in the 19th century, when it was called marble glass or brown malachite. The term slag comes from the belief that slag from iron smelting was added to the glass to form colors, especially purples and browns. The metal on the lamp is probably cast spelter, the most common form of zinc, and it is solid, making it weigh about 30 pounds when combined with the heavy glass. It was then painted this golden color, which has chipped off and you can see the spelter below.The flowers and leaves are indicative of Art Nouveau design popular in the 1890s through WWI.The lamp has two bulbs on pull-chains. I have been told by my dad not to worry about the electrical wiring, because he remembers his father fixing it. Please note that my grandfather died in 1951, so the wiring is before that! Other than the wiring, the finial on the top no longer stays screwed on. Right now I've put a little sticky-tack in there to gum up the threads, until I can talk to a restoration person about what will be the right thing to do. I hope you enjoyed my lamp; doesn't it go great in my blue and khaki room? I've been wanting to share it with you since October, but then I got into showing off all the different vintage holiday items! Be sure to check out Suzanne's cute doggy planters and the other Vintage Thingies Thursday participants, and think about joining us next week. You probably don't even realize what treasures you have laying around!

24 comments:

Sweetie said...

Your lamp is truly unique. I would look nice on my sideboard in the dining room!
Sweetie

Happy To Be said...

Just beautiful girl..and I think the lamp maker is Handel..you can look it up online..thanks for sharing hugs and smiles Gloria

Coloradolady said...

What a wonderful lamp. I love the style and design. You were so right in starting off the year with an amazing item.

Love the fact it is a family piece. I wish I had more things that were in my family, I have some, but I tend to remember things that I wish I had now.

Love your post today, and the story with it. Have a great Thursday!

P.S. I like your blog the way it is, I missed yesterday's post somehow...

Donna Marie said...

Happy New Year Elizabeth!

Your family heirloom is beautiful! I think I have a few nice items... hmmmm... I must go check. (LOL)

Thanks for sharing!

xoxoxoxo
Donna Marie

Dawn said...

That's beautiful. How proud you must be to be able to display something that's been in your family for so long.

Corgidogmama~ said...

Your history, and description of the lamp really added to your entry. That lamp is just lovely, and such a gem to possess. It truly would look beautiful in any style of decor, wouldn't it? What a piece of history, that one day, you'll pass on to the next generation to grace their home with and enjoy its beauty.

CC said...

Your lamp is beautiful and made even more so with your family history and memories. Happy VTT and have a lovely day.

marian said...

WOW what a GEM...i adore all things art nouveau :)

Smilingsal said...

Something like this lamp that has been in your family for so long is priceless. Thanks for sharing it.

Chris said...

Your lamp is beautiful and looks so pretty sitting on the table.

Hugs,
Chris

Lynne said...

I love the lamp! And the fact that it's been in your family so long makes it even better.

Ulla said...

The lamp is very beautiful, take good care of it!

Justine said...

Wow, that lamp is truly beautiful. I'd definitely bring it somewhere to have the finial repaired. Don't wanna screw (heeheehee... get it?) with that.

Justine :ol )

Susan said...

What a beautiful lamp and it goes wonderfully in your decor. I had an Aunt Gertie, too.

ann said...

GORGEOUS.This is beautiful....Ann

char72 said...

Your lamp is absolutely beautiful. Love the shade. Of course it is extra special because of the history. Thank you for sharing it with us.
Charlotte

Ronnica said...

That's a really neat lamp...and you're right, it totally goes with the space!

mannequin said...

The lamp is beautiful Elizabeth and the story behind it makes it even more special.
It's interesting...I had heard of "slag glass" before and had forgotten all about it.
Gorgeous.

sista #2 said...

That is gorgeous!


peace
#2

Julia Smith said...

I'm definitely drooling over your lamp. Gorgeous! And nice photos of it, too.

Patty said...

What a great lamp! And, thanks for all the information about it. The glass is so pretty. I love the pull chains too.

Kelly said...

Hi Elizabeth! Well, my own Elizabeth would say, "OMG! That is the coolest lamp ever and you should give it to my mom because it would look so totally wicked on her desk!" Sorry, I just could not resist. This is truly very special! Thank you for sharing. ~Kelly

unDeniably Domestic

Life on Bonnie Lane said...

This lamp is AMAZING! I love anything art nouveau and the craftmanship on this lamp is just wonderful. You have such a beautiful treasure here!

If it ever comes up missing, you just may have to come to NW Ohio to find it! lol j/k

Kady

Lisa said...

I love all these lamps.