Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Turkeys Run Amok

I grew up in the very small town of East Granby, CT, population around 3,500, according to the town web site. According to my mother it's closer to 5,000 people these days, but she's exaggerating, I'm sure. I graduated from high school with 48 people. There are three stoplights in town, and the only chain store of any kind is Dunkin Donuts, which is on the state highway on the way to Bradley Airport, aka Hartford/Springfield Airport. It was a great place to grow up, and it's a great place to have kids, but you don't want to be a single person living there, that's for sure!
With that brief background, I wanted to share with you some pictures from this summer's 150 Anniversary Celebration of the town. It was really well-organized three day event with a parade, bands, craft fair & art show, traditional town fair games and activities, and fireworks. One of the things many people came to see were the GIANT TURKEYS that I've been saving to post at Thanksgiving time!The wild turkey is the symbol of the town, so following what so many other places have done, the event organizers put together a decorated turkey charity event.My childhood doctor's daughter did the painting for this doctor turkey with the Band-Aid wings and stethoscope. Before people ask, I have no idea who this little girl is. She was just in some pictures I found online about the event.Being right next to the largest airport in the state, there is also an Air Force station and a National Guard post. This turkey was decorated to honor these people.This is the only realistic-looking bird. I'm a little afraid of what that girl is doing back there!Vincent Van Gobble is painted all over with sunflowers and other representations of Van Gogh's works.This one, sponsored by the local auto body shop is one of my personal favorites!
Have you ever been to one of these painted animal events or participated in some way, by decorting or purchasing one?
This post is linked to The American Homemaker's Holiday Show & Share. Stop by and see what other holiday ideas, crafts, recipes, etc. are being shared. Think about participating next week.

14 comments:

Angie said...

Those turkeys are so fun. I grew up in a town about the same size here in Utah. We never did anything cool like this though.

Oh2122 said...

That's a hoot!

It reminds me of when everyone was decorating chows and Charlie Browns a few years ago, but the turkeys are so much more interesting!

LadyFi said...

We don't have Thanksgiving in Europe so those big turkeys are amazing and fascinating!!

Carrie said...

What fun!
In this apple country area we have had displays of apple sculptures.

bj said...

How fun...thanks for these great photos..
I just signed up to follow your blog...I thought I was already on your list but, guess not...But..now I am!!
hope you are feeling good today..
love, bj

Carolyn (Harbor Hon) said...

I love the turkeys! Each one has its own personality.

Baltimore had our own version of this in 2001, but it was done with fish. There's a book at Amazon.com called Fish Out of Water: Baltimore's Fin-Tastic Voyage by Fish Out of Water (Exhibition) (2001 Baltimore), Leslie Landsman (Author), Patricia Venturino (Author), James Durham (Author).
Here's the page address to view the description of the book: http://www.amazon.com/Fish-Out-Water-Baltimores-Fin-Tastic/dp/1882203798. It was a fabulous exhibition around the Baltimore area and it was so much fun finding where the fish were placed.

Thanks for sharing those wonderful turkeys, but one of those will not be gracing my Thanksgiving table. :) You are so much fun! xxoo

imjacobsmom said...

I bet it was fun growing up in your little town, and I bet it was a fun event. The turkeys sure added to the festivities! I live in the Twin Cities and we had a series of Peanuts characters throughout the years. It sure brought in a lot of tourists! ~ Robyn

Life on Bonnie Lane said...

These are so cool, and perfect for Thanksgiving! One of my favorite towns to visit, St. Joseph, Michigan, had carousel horses one year, then two years later did bears! I just love projects like this!

Kady

Tiffany said...

Those turkeys are fantastic! I love public art like that. The town we used to live in did hands. My kids' favorite was one they called the cyclops party hand. Fun stuff!

Carolyn (Harbor Hon) said...

Sorry Elizabeth, I meant one of the turkeys in your post will not be on my table. :) I have a turkey all ready for the crockpot on the morning of Thanksgiving. xxoo

Tammy said...

How funny. I saw the cows in Manhattan, New York and the fish in New Orleans and the bears in Grants Pass, Oregon. Never saw these turkeys though. How fun! I hoep all is well there. I am posting an award tonight and you are one of the recipients. Stop by to pick it up. You are a true inspiration.
Tammy

Patty said...

I think that little girl was taking the turkey's temperature. I love this idea of decorating giant turkeys. I wish I could have seen it in person. Thanks for blogging about it.

mannequin said...

We don't have animal events like this but we DO have a big giant blueberry soar to the sky and back on New Years Eve.
Occasionally in our mall, they have painted and crafted larger than life dogs painted in very tres chic styles.
A parisian poodle..

queenoftheclick said...

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog and leaving your kind words. Teaching is wonderful, but everyone seemed to want me to help them all at once and saying no is something I need to learn. Then choosing things to say no to is so hard, especially when it is something for the kids.

your blog s adorable and I love these turkeys. I wish we had something so cool here in NYC.