Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Finding My Thing

For the second installment of the Blog Improvement Project, Kim is encouraging us to find a brainstorming technique that works for us when we can't think of a topic on which to write. I have to say, I've never been stuck for a topic yet, but it will probably happen some day. She gave us some articles to get started.
24 Things to do When Stuck for a Topic to Blog About
Brainstorming Techniques for Bloggers
9 Steps to Better Blog Post Ideas
The things I already do to give myself topics are:
participate in memes such as
Blue Monday, Vintage Thingies Thursday, and Best Posts of the Week, as well as a few others that I do from time to time,
plan a posting schedule for the week,
keeping a journal/notebook with me to jot down topic ideas,
begin a post in draft whenever I have an idea,
write posts in advance in case my brain ever does dry up!


Don't let this happen to you!


The second part of the assignment was optional. Actually, the whole thing is optional, but since I don't really need to worry about finding topics, I turned my brain over to ruminating on Part Two: creating a new, regular feature that is unique to my own blog. There are so many great memes, tags, and awards out there, that I didn't want to duplicate or even modify something that already existed. I can write poetry or fiction, the way the fabulous Ma'dame French keeps us enthralled with the Desperate Housewives of Blogge'ville, but that would seem like a chore. I COULD do it, but I wouldn't want to, and one of the points of blogging for me is the entertainment value.

This past week I have visited over 200 blogs that were new to me through the One World, One Heart Giveaway. Besides entering tons of giveaways and getting great artistic/crafty inspiration, I was looking around for inspiration on my own original blog feature. At the Southern Daydreamer, I found my inspiration! Susan hosts a group called Georgia Friends. Now, for whatever reason, I get a big kick out of visiting blogs from my own neck of the woods. I even click on New England in my profile once in a while to find bloggers in my area. So I've decided to start the New England Bloggers. I did some research and could not find another group like this, except for one hosting commercial blogs. I am going to make mine as easy as Susan's.

This is not an award, it is a button showing that the blogger is based in one of the six New England states. Anyone from Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, or Connecticut is welcome to join by posting the button on their blog and inviting blog friends to join.

Once a blogger has posted the button and linked to the special NE Bloggers page, they will leave a comment on that page so I can add them to the list. That's it! No other obligations! In the future I may think about having the group voluntarily participate in a carnival such as Show off your Hometown, or something, but right now it will just be compiling a list. I've already made my button, and I'm going to start off the group tomorrow.Other participants in the Blog Improvement Project are starting some great things that are open to anyone. Word games, book games, all sorts of things. Go check them out!

13 comments:

Justine said...

Ooh, great idea for the New England blogs!!!!!!! CAn't wait to see how it works out for you. Just loved this.

Justine :o )

Ronda's Rants said...

What a great idea!

Smilingsal said...

That is a super idea for a New England bloggers group. I'd like to host/join a Florida group. Could you assist with a button?

I always "begin a post in draft whenever I have an idea." I never just randomly begin typing. In fact, whenever I read, "I don't know what to say today" or "I know I'm rambling," I want to get out my retired red pen! lol

Kathy - mom of many said...

What a great idea, I never thought to look for local bloggers. I'll have to do a search. I haven't been on the computer as much as I used to be. I have only entered one giveaway so far...and usually I get to at least several hundred. My 6 year old son was supposed to have minor surgery today, but he wouldn't cooperate with the nitrous oxide so we had to stop the procedure. Thanks for visiting my blog again.

Bridget said...

Terrific idea. I hope you meet lots of New Englanders!

Raggedy Girl said...

Great post and I was bookmarking like crazy. Thanks a lot!
Roberta Anne

squawmama said...

Great post Elizabeth.... It sounds like such a great idea... you'll have to keep us posted as to how it goes...

(((HUGS)))
Donna

Tammy said...

Thanks so much for the links to the good advise. I've been away from blogging for a bit and often wonder what to type about next. Sometimes I'll just quit for a bit and then lose readers. Maybe these will help me too!

Blessin's♥

Rechelle ~Walnuthaven Cottage~ said...

Fantastic! What a great idea!

Dorte H said...

Great idea!
- and what a beautiful button!

Jewelgirl said...

I wanted to stop by and say hello!
I like the idea of blog improvement and I will check out some of the
ideas and sites you mentioned...
Hey do I qualify for NE blogger if
my great grandma was born in CT?
...Sorry girl..... Just kidding ♥
Hope your smiling, I am! :)

Terrie's Lil' Piece of Serenity said...

Great post!!

grayskyeyes said...

Cool idea! I wish I were a New England blogger, but I'm stuck here in the Midwest :)

Kim (Sophisticated Dorkiness)